In 1998, SSM Health Care spent a year coming up with a single mission statement and values for its entire system. That process involved nearly 3,000 employees at every level of SSM, from every entity. Today that mission statement is 13 words -- short by design. Inspired by our founding religious sisters, our mission defines the way we do things. Because those words come from employees, they embrace the mission as their own.
"Through our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of God."
Inspired by our founding religious sisters, we value the sacredness and dignity of each person. Therefore, we find these five values consistent with our heritage and ministry:
▪ Compassion: We reach out with openness, kindness and concern.
▪ Respect: We honor the wonder of the human spirit.
▪ Excellence: We expect the best of ourselves and one another.
▪ Stewardship: We use our resources responsibly.
▪ Community: We cultivate relationships that inspire us to serve.
SSM Health Care's Quality Principles
▪ Patients and other customers are our first priority.
▪ Quality is achieved through people.
▪ All work is part of a process.
▪ Decision-making by facts.
▪ Quality requires continuous quality improvement.
Through our participation in the healing ministry of Jesus Christ, communities, especially those that are economically, physically and socially marginalized, will experience improved health in mind, body, spirit, and environment within the financial limits of the system.